How to kick your salt cravings
Every women has a different pre-period craving, but for many the devil is salt!
Even though salt tastes darn good, it doesn’t go well with periods. If you overdo it, which is anything over 2.4 grams or approximately one teaspoon a day, it can worsen period bloating and also make your cramps more painful.
Too much salt can also contribute to high blood pressure and make pre-existing conditions such as asthma and diabetes worse.
If we’ve convinced you that you need to cut down on your salt intake, these simple tips will help you kick your craving:
- Swap it up. We know there are times in your life when only a bag of salt and vinegar crisps is the only thing that will do, but try experimenting with alternatives. We love crispy vegetable sticks, such as carrots, dipped in hummus – the crunch is satisfying and the dip hits the savoury spot.
- Use a substitute. If you add a lot of salt to you food, stop! However, if the temptation to cover your chips in salt granules is too much, choose a low-sodium alternative such as Lo Salt
- Walk away! Sometimes you just need a salt hit. When temptation strikes, try walking away. Go off and occupy yourself for 10 minutes and if the craving is still strong after that, allow yourself a small taste, such as half a bag of crisps. Often cravings are about habits so if you change that habit up, you won’t want to indulge.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Lack of sleep makes your body produce more of the hunger hormone –ghrelin – and this makes you hungrier and more likely to indulge in your cravings. You’ll be able to resist salt-laden goodies if you’ve had enough shut-eye.
- Be careful of additional salt in your diet. Fast food and processed food, such as ready meals, contain 3 to 4 times the amount of salt you should have in one meal.
- Change your painkillers. Those soluble painkillers that you take to help your period pains could actually be making them worse. According to the NHS Choices website, these can actually contain up to 1g of salt per table. Just three of those a day would take you over your limit!