Syneron-Candela, the world’s leading laser aesthetic company, and creators of the Sublative skin treatments for ageing, acne, scarring and stretch marks, conducted a Censuswide survey with 1,341 UK women to delve into their feelings about their skin.
Results included 20% of women admitting that bad skin actually made them depressed and nearly a third of women admitted that ageing and growing old ranked in their top 5 life fears....
Women’s Top Five Skin Dislikes...
1. My lines and wrinkles – nearly a quarter of women (24%) voted this as their top skin dislike with ladies in Northern Ireland agreeing the most
2. 16% of women cited their pigmentation and uneven skin colour as their top skin dislike and surprisingly this was highest amongst 24-35 year olds then all age groups
3. 10.4% of women voted stretch marks as their biggest skin dislike and it seems the younger you are the more you hate them (only 4% of over 55’s compared to 27% of 16-24 year olds). If you live in the North East you hate them the most and if you live in Northern Ireland the least!
4. Loose crepey skin crept into 4th their skin with 10% of women stating this. Welsh were the least concerned compared to Londoners and those from N Ireland
5. 6% of women surveyed said that acne was their top dislike and of course the younger you are the more you agreed. Acne Scarring only bothered 4.4% of British women surveyed.
The Blemished, the Bad, the Sad and the Bashful – women get emotional about their skin…….
• Nearly half, 47% of women said bad skin* made them feel less confident, and the younger you are the more this effects your confidence (71% of 16-24 year olds, 54% of 25-34 year olds , 51% of 35-44 year olds, 49% of 45-54 year olds and 33% of over 55’s)
• Sad Skin: 20% of women said that bad skin* made them depressed and the younger you are the more likely your bad skin will make you depressed : only 12% of the over 55’s said it would make them depressed compared with 29%, nearly a third, of the 16-24 year olds and 27% of 25-34 year olds
• Bad Skin Blushes: 20% of women said that bad skin made them embarrassed with the 25-34 year old age group agreeing the most
• Irritating Skin: If skin is ‘bad’* 18% of women said their skin condition would actually make them annoyed, particularly if they were aged 25- 34 (26%) or from the North East (26%)
*bad skin = spots/acne, lines and wrinkles or scars
• A third of those surveyed would cancel a first date if they woke up with bad skin. Nearly 50% of those who said this were 16-24 years old and Londoner’s were the highest UK region to agree (40%)
• Nearly a quarter (23%) of respondents said they’d cancel meeting their partner’s family for the first time if bad skin reared its ugly head that morning!
• 20% of women said they cancel a night out with friends if they woke with bad skin
For more information please visit www.syneron-candela.co.uk