Are these the weirdest period cravings ever?
Period cravings: because sometimes only crisps and ice cream will do, ok.
From salty snacks to sweet treats, we often have intense cravings in the run up to or first few days of our period. You can blame it on hormones: it’s about this time that our body maxes out production of the stress hormone cortisol, while we simultaneously experience a dip in serotonin levels, our feel-good hormone. Suddenly, a family bag of crisps and a tub or two of ice cream start to make perfect sense…
In a recent Facebook post, our April box partners Mallow and Marsh wanted to find out what your period cravings are every month. And boy, did you tell. Here are some of our favourite answers. They made us laugh. They made us nod in agreement. And some of them completely grossed us out. Read on to find out our top 20 faves.
Which ones will you be trying (or avoiding)? Let us know in the comments!
1. Samantha was crowned winner of the contest. Her craving? Sprouts in curry sauce.
2. Garlic bread with gravy is Niavvy-Cara’s current fave.
3. How can you improve an awesome sausage roll? Dip it in pickled onion juice, obviously. The chef behind sausage rolls dipped in pickled onion juice is Izzy.
4. Stacey prefers to tuck into pancakes with peanut butter and chocolate.
5. Popcorn dipped in cheese sauce is Dani’s number one choice.
6. For Tara, it just has to be Tesco egg and bacon sarnies or there’ll be trouble.
7. Tinned tomatoes straight out of the tin are Dale’s controversial must-have.
8. Emma is all about ice cream topped with peanut butter. (As long as it’s crunchy…)
9. Donna needs coleslaw sandwiches in her life when she’s on her period
10. We’re thinking about calling the doctor for Tracey, who craves bananas while she’s sniffing leather.
11. Victoria’s peanut butter and toasted marshmallows on toast sound dreamy to us.
12. Jam and bacon is Anneka’s perfect pairing.
13. You’ll either love or hate Hannah’s fave: marmite with toast and cream cheese.
14. For Victoria, only her mum’s macaroni cheese will do – and she’ll drive 300 miles for it.
15. Grilled cheese and Nutella on toast is Karen’s craving.
16. Sharon’s McHappy meal involves McDonald’s fries dipped in a McFlurry. What would Ronald say?
17. Claudia reckons she’ll eat anything – even jam and cottage cheese on toast!
18. For Lorna, it’s all about lemonade ice lollies – at least three a day!
19. Laura sends her husband to get her a cheeseburger – with no burger. We call that a cheese sandwich.
20. Melted chocolate over extra strong mints is Jeanette’s big idea.